Saturday, October 25, 2014

Traveling to Lake Wobegon

I wrote this fictional story last year about my trip to Minnesota in search of Lake Wobegon and fall leaves. Now is the time of year when I wish I wasn't from sunny Southern California.  I want sweater weather, pumpkin spice lattes, and rainy days indoors reading a good book.  The opening chapter of my book has teenage sleuth, Nancy Keene, preparing for a Halloween party by painting headstone epitaphs in her backyard while ashes from a nearby brush fire are raining down on her. This really happened one year when my husband and I prepared for a party.  This book has Nancy and her father listening to "A Prairie Home Companion", like they do every Saturday night.  My husband and I have been listening to the radio show for thirty years.  On our pilgrimage to Lake Wobegon last year, my husband and I met Garrison Keillor while we were there: he was walking out of a bookstore and I saw him in the parking lot.  He wasn't there doing promotions; he was just buying some books to read during his flight to New Orleans, he told us.  He was very gracious and totally in character.  My husband got to shake his hand.  It was definitely the high point of our trip. I write about all these fun times in this book, which also includes pictures of some of the fictional places upon which Keillor bases his Lake Wobegon stories.



eBook available for 1.99. 
Also available in paperback at Amazon and Barnes & Noble.






No comments:

Post a Comment